Tuesday, January 20

I had an unexpected trip to Rhode Island last week. My Nana died on Monday, and Rob, Mags and I all packed up and flew there to be with my dad and April. It was a very bittersweet trip - we actually had a great time hanging out with my family and showing Rob around, (we basically ate our way across the state, and it was awesome) but there was this unspoken sadness because of the real reason we were there.



It was also a funny trip because it made me realize how much I miss being home. We were in a bar waiting for a Pearl Jam cover band to start (don't ask - it was actually really fun) and Maggie commented on how she felt so much more comfortable in New England than in the South. Like she belonged there. I think it's mostly because there's such a variety of people up there, all sorts of colors and ethnicities, that no one type dominates over another. It even snowed and was in the teens for most of the time we were there, and I loved it. I had frozen toes and had to go shopping to buy warmer clothes, and I loved it. Is there a possible move home for me in the future? I don't know. It would be complicated to leave the South... complicated but not impossible. I think I'll just focus on planning a trip up there this summer for starters, and then go from there.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

sorry about your nana! i wish you would have called me while here! x

Melissa said...

oh Ser! I thought of you a ton, but it was just too crazy. I really want to come this summer, so I'll put a couple days aside just for you and Sal. ; )

Euni said...

Hi sweety, I'm so sorry about your Grandma. :( It's always bitter sweet when the elderly loved ones die. Glad you made it back to GA safely!

hugs, hugs, hugs

stephanie anne said...

dude, don't leave me here. i still have a dream that eventually people i like will actually move back to athens and be my family. then again, who knows - maybe i'll fly away to arizona and we can get as far away from eachother as humanly possible :)

Melissa said...

isn't that what families do? run away from each other? i'll love you no matter what state I live in, silly chicken.